From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bug voting
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:01:19
2 >>| I frankly don't understand why you're so outspoken on this issue. You
3 >>| can ignore votes if that's what you choose to do. This is not a
4 >>| policy change proposal, this is an enhancement request for Bugzilla.
5 >>
6 >>1) Because it will lead to "this bug has over a hundred votes, why is
7 >>it being ignored?" posts.
10 > And would such posts be unreasonable? I don't think so. If a bug has a
11 > large # of votes relative to everything else, and it IS being ignored,
12 > it's a valid question.
15 The answer is, that depends on the feature/ebuild/bug being voted on. I
16 think ciaranm's thought on this point really gets down to the heart of
17 the problem with voting.
18
19 There are two ways of looking at this. First, we as devs have a
20 responsibility to incorporate features/ebuilds and fix bugs that our
21 users want. Second, we have a responsibility to protect our users from
22 completely fragging their systems, even those who have demonstrated they
23 will go out of their way to do so at any chance.
24
25 I think the first point is adequately covered by bugzilla as it is. If
26 a user wants a new ebuild included or a bug fixed, he/she files a bug
27 for it. The problem with this is that we simply don't have enough devs
28 right now to cover the sheer volume of stuff in bugzilla. This is a
29 fixable problem, however. As for the second point, I think we already
30 do a good job at that, like not including certain kernel source packages
31 that include potentially dangerous patches like reiser4. We also inform
32 users we will not support them if they install 3rd-party-sources or
33 stuff from breakymgentoo. This is all very reasonable.
34
35 Considering these two points, I think you have to either say "yes, we
36 are going to prioritize high votes" or "we're going to protect our users
37 from potentially unstable stuff and use discretion instead."
38
39 Now that I've rambled on, let me get to what I really think. I believe
40 bug voting would be great for bugs that are truly problems with
41 supported configurations/ebuilds. However, I do not think voting should
42 be considered for additions of new ebuilds into portage. It will create
43 too many posts whining that system-killer-6.6.6.ebuild has not been
44 added to portage. As I said before, I'm not sure we can have it both
45 ways without there being problems, so I would say voting is a bad idea.
46
47 Steve (geoman)
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list