From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] EAPI 5+: split PDEPEND introducing SDEPEND
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 06:45:29
1 Fabio Erculiani posted on Sun, 02 Sep 2012 16:45:12 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > - If SDEPEND contains USE flags, these are written in stone and cannot
4 > be changed without a rebuild. This is generally fine for source
5 > packages, a bit less for binpkgs, but not really a big deal IMO.
6
7 This being the case, don't we effectively already have the feature in the
8 form of default-use? Isn't a USE flag defaulted-on in effect ALREADY a
9 "suggestion"? That seems to me to be how it's used in practice.
10
11 For a new "suggested" mechanism to be actually worth the implementation
12 cost, I'd /suggest/ that it must allow flipping state without a rebuild.
13 Otherwise we effectively already have it in the form of default-use, so
14 what's the point?
15
16 Now it's certainly possible to argue that once one sets a global USE
17 flag, the visibility of default-use "suggests" isn't particularly high,
18 and that ideally --ask and --pretend with --verbose (and presumably
19 whatever corresponds in the other PMs) should somehow emphasize "suggest"
20 state a bit more than simply "it's there, make your own choice" state,
21 which is arguably what normal use flags are, but that's a PM UI issue,
22 not a lack of ability to mark "suggests" in the ebuild.
23
24 Unless I'm missing something, the information's already expressible in
25 the ebuild with existing default-use; it just arguable needs a bit more
26 emphasis in the UI /as/ suggests, because that's what default-use in
27 effect already IS.
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman