From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] debug USE flag misuse
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 17:23:13
1 On 07/01/2010 02:25 AM, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 17:09:00 +0200, "Diego E. 'Flameeyes'" Pettenò
3 > <flameeyes@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Please check the linked documentation or my blog post[1] on the matter
6 >> if you want to understand the reasoning. I'll be dropping the flag and
7 >> its context from now on if I stumble across it, without further
8 >> warnings.
9 >
10 > Hey Diego, (not sure if you are on -dev list or not, therefore adding
11 > you to cc)
12 >
13 > What is the consensus on if the metadata.xml specifies that it will add
14 > CFLAGS? Surely it is not as black/white as the global suggests..?
15 >
16 > local:debug:app-portage/eix: Build with CXXFLAGS/LDFLAGS for debugging
17 > support; not recommended for normal use.
20 I think metadata.xml descriptions should only be used to be more
21 detailed than the global meaning. One criteria for being a global use
22 flag is that the flag means the same across packages.
23
24 Regards,
25 Petteri