From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××××××××××.net>, Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RPM installer for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:20:09
1 On Tuesday 26 August 2003 8:16 pm, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Is their currently a script/program out there that will install an RPM
3 > onto a Gentoo system? I'm not talking about 'rpm --nodeps -i file.rpm'.
4 > I mean a program that will parse the RPMs dependencies and then use
5 > portage to try and satisfy those dependencies, write a dummy ebuild,
6 > then use portage to install it. Yes, I know RPMs are the spawn of Satan.
7 > No, I do not need this program for myself. I just think it would be an
8 > interesting project.
9
10 Please excuse me for this, but I think it would be a nightmare, and a waste of
11 time.
12
13 The problem isn't the dependencies, it's converting the install scripts from a
14 RedHat-compatible system to a Gentoo one.
15
16 I maintain a few ebuilds which have this very problem, and to date I haven't
17 figured out a way of performing that automatic conversion. If someone does,
18 then I'd like to hear from them.
19
20 Best regards,
21 Stu
22 --
23 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
24 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
25 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
26 Come and meet me in March 2004 http://www.phparch.com/cruise/
27
28 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
29 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C