From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Keeping net-fs/ncpfs and net-misc/ipx-utils around?
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 19:19:15
1 Throwing a question out there on whether to keep both the net-fs/ncpfs and
2 net-misc/ipx-utils packages around any longer. Kernel upstream removed both
3 the IPX (Internetwork Packet eXchange) protocol and NCPFS (NetWare Core
4 Protocol Filesystem) support back in ~4.18 due to lack of maintenance. I
5 know the code in both generally worked fine back then, as I have a few
6 NetWare VMs that I was able to mount filesystems from in Linux, even on my
7 MIPS hardware.
8
9 However, it is effectively a dead protocol and dead filesystem for a dead
10 operating system (NetWare). I don't see anyone resurrecting IPX/NCPFS and
11 updating to get it re-included it in the kernel, either. I was tempted once
12 to try, but I just don't have the time anymore.
13
14 I think we're one of the last distros to even keep IPX/NCPFS-related
15 packages around long-term. With no viable upstream for ncpfs anymore, and
16 with no kernel support in Linux (or even FreeBSD; they deprecated IPX in
17 ~10.0-RELEASE), I think it's time to remove this package and any related
18 packages.
19
20 One catch is, sys-kernel/gentoo-sources still keeps 4.4, 4.9, and 4.14
21 stable kernel series around. These can still technically use IPX/NCPFS, and
22 therefore, there might be users using it.
23
24 A quick poll of the portage tree suggests these changes are needed:
25
26 Delete USE flag reference:
27 net-analyzer/hydra
28 profiles/use.local.desc (remove hydra's local 'ncp' entry)
29
30 Remove ebuilds:
31 net-fs/ncpfs
32 net-misc/ipx-utils
33
34 Remove filesystem reference?:
35 sys-apps/mlocate/files/updatedb.conf
36
37 Remove reference to 'ipx-utils':
38 profiles/license_groups
41 Thoughts?
44 Joshua Kinard
45 Gentoo/MIPS
46 kumba@g.o
47 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
48 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
49
50 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
51 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
52
53 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic