From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:23:45
1 On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 09:42 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 >
4 > > Really, I don't have any vision for Gentoo and I like it that way.
5 > Amazing words to come from Gentoo's release manager. We might as well
6 > call our releases 'maintenance updates' then if thats the case.
7 I guess we're at a point where many parts "just work" - I still have
8 some ideas where Gentoo could be improved, but if Chris doesn't and
9 prefers to do some cat-herding I support him in his lack of vision ;-)
10
11 After all, without some level of QA / "managment" all those visions will
12 end in half-assed prototypes that almost work, but don't do much.
13 The mundane tasks of keeping the wheels greased so that others can
14 experiment around shouldn't be dismissed like that ...
15
16 > I give up on this whole thread. I was hoping people would see past the
17 > automatic "OMG!! We can't have a leader because it would restrict what I
18 > can do!" mentality. But apparently that isn't the case here.
19 You know as well as I do that any leader will only have a nominal
20 position
21 and most devs will just do what they want, bypassing such a person
22 whenever necessary. So for now we should focus on how to coordinate our
23 goals - if we agree that a "leader" is needed, why not, but we should
24 find out if that is even needed.
25 > Yes, we
26 > didn't have the best experience with previous attempts at having some
27 > kind of a leader. And automatically thinking that it'll turn into a
28 > corporate bureaucratic mess is also incorrect. If you can open up your
29 > mind and see past those automatic assumptions and see the value it would
30 > be amazing.
31 But it's already getting too bureaucratic ;-)
32 It's getting more and more difficult to get things done, more and more
33 people / groups / herds to wait on to decide "obvious" things.
34
35 > Anyways, as I said. I give up on this getting anywhere.
36 That's the spirit. (just kidding, but it is kinda funny)
37
38 I noticed that Gentoo seems to have this cycle where all 3 months or so
39 the same theme comes up, causes a long discussion and then goes nowhere.
40 And then stuff does happen - maybe it's not obvious, but we're not yet
41 Debian ;-)
42
43 For example - our baselayout supports UML and vServer (almost fully)
44 native. Most of you won't see that, but to those that do it's something
45 that's really nice.
46
47 wkr,
48 Patrick
51 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move