From: Michael Kohl <citizen428@××××××.org>
To: lafou@×××××××.fr
Cc: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] volonteers for a gentoo admin tool (portage frontend)
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:09:04
1 On 22 Jun 2003 15:34:14 +0200
2 Philippe Lafoucrière <lafou@×××××××.fr> wrote:
3
4 > Now we have to define fonctionnalities of this new utility. I propose
5 > a basic select/install/deinstall utility for the first release.
6
7 Hm, actually I always considered package managment a rather low priority
8 for a tool like this or even a tool on it's own.
9
10 What I'd love to see is something to replace the clutter of tools
11 currently present (mirrorselect, ufed, the various -confifgs etc.) for
12 gentoo specific tasks in on single tool, "Emergency" (my first name
13 proposal), "gentoo-config" or whatever name we decide on.
14
15 Also the task of installing packages in a GUI is already covered by
16 several projects (for a console version you can use the scripts from
17 Optilude found on forums.gentoo.org), but something similar to
18 /stand/sysinstall is not present and besides our talking not in the
19 planning AFAIK.
20
21 So maybe a good point to start would be _new_ functionality like a GUI
22 for setting various settings in /etc/make.conf (portdir overlay,
23 features, rsync retries etc.) and then start working on integrating
24 functionality currently provided by the other tools.
25
26 I'm not even sure anymore if I want to see package managment included in
27 this unified tool, as from my point of view a full featured package
28 manager is a project worth it's on program. But regarding this I'm open
29 for argument and other people's opinion.
30
31 My 2 cents,
32 Michael
35 www.cargal.org
36 GnuPG-key-ID: 0x90CA09E3
37 Jabber-ID: citizen428 [at] cargal [dot] org
38 Registered Linux User #278726