From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eselect init
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 20:56:25
1 On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:16:36PM +0200, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
2 > There is a new version of eselect-init in the systemd-love overlay to play with.
3 > The new version saw the following major changes:
4 >
5 > - the /sbin/init (aka the symlink that eselect-init handles) can be
6 > changed to whatever one wants through make.conf [1] (this is a compile
7 > time option, as documented in the eclass)
8
9 Why do we need to mess with /sbin/init at all?
10
11 I like the suggestion that came up here on the list a while back, have
12 the eselect init module install its own symlink at, say, /sbin/einit.
13 You would still have to have the user edit their boot loader
14 configuration file one time if they want to use this, but this makes it
15 completely opt-in.
16
17 The other advantage of this is you don't have to mess with any init
18 system ebuilds at all.
19
20 > - the wrapper and its code paths are now documented in the
21 > eselect-init eclass [2] [3]
22
23 This eclass could go away entirely if you don't try to control
24 /sbin/init.
25
26 > If you intend to use switch between systemd to openrc (and vice
27 > versa), make sure to install the rest of the packages in that overlay.
28 > At the moment, if you want to switch, you also need to use
29 > eselect-settingsd. However, I am planning to drop eselect-settingsd:
30 > openrc-settingsd and systemd share the same settingsd dbus interface
31 > while they call different executables, systemd initializes its dbus
32 > services without relying on dbus activation, so the Exec= part of the
33 > service descriptor file is currently set to /bin/false, this rings a
34 > bell :D, because it is possible to replace /bin/false with a script
35 > that starts the respective services when dbus activation is used
36 > (which means that systemd hasn't booted the system). This would make
37 > possible to remove the blocker dependency in openrc-settingsd and
38 > systemd somehow.
39
40 Keep up the good work; the more simple we can make the integration the
41 better it will be.
42
43 William