From: Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 07:45:13
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 09/06/16 22:15, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > Didn't you just contradict yourself? First you tell that everyone
6 > should have their own public repo... then you tell that we should
7 > merge stuff from those repos. So are you targeting split-repo
8 > model, or central repo model, or...?
9 Everyone should have their own public repository, yes. I want people
10 to be able to grow their own Gentoo as they please. But I'm not
11 suggesting we up and away with our developers and expertise. instead,
12 we should maintain core/base packages, and curated and reviewed
13 small-ish repositories that we feature and recommend using. As such,
14 I'm not suggesting anything that major here. Just encouraging users to
15 put all their stuff public and get more involved with writing and
16 reviewing ebuilds, and, further on, us becoming a bit more modular.
17
18 > Does that mean that using Gentoo would involve spending hours on
19 > figuring out which repository supplies a package that happens to be
20 > quite up-to-date, build and not have huge security issues?
21 That's where the mentioned curated and reviewed repositories featured
22 by us come in.
23
24 > So... are we doing split repos, or now forking Gentoo and expecting
25 > things to magically work when people attempt to merge a dozen
26 > outdated forks of Gentoo?
27 We're not doing anything -- we're just having a discussion. I'm not
28 sure about what you mean by merging outdated forks though.
29
30 > NixOS doesn't work. It's a huge pile of hacks that create more
31 > problems than they solve.
32 There are quite a lot of people that would disagree vehemently with
33 you, but I can't really address your issues because you are
34 effectively just saying "NixOS sucks lol". Do you have the same
35 concerns with Guix SD? Could you perhaps elaborate on what your
36 concerns actually are?
37
38 > Exherbo is special. You can talk about everyone having their own
39 > repository when you have to deal with around 10 users who also
40 > happen to be developers. It doesn't scale to Gentoo.
41 I find this unfounded and about as useful as your "argument" against
42 NixOS. Exherbo has one single contribution hub with a common review
43 system for all repositories. I see no reason this shouldn't scale.
44
45 > I don't really see how this is relevant to Sunrise.
46 I didn't mean to say that it was -- I just think we should involve
47 users, which Sunrise did.
48
49 > You have no real technical suggestions, or even a clear vision. I
50 > have no clue how your idea is going to work, or if it's even a
51 > single idea.
52 The email was primarily meant to generate discussion, to see what kind
53 of ideas people have in this direction. But I think there are a few
54 more concrete things in here, and I hope there will be more of those.
55 If you have more questions or ideas, then perhaps my answers will help
56 elucidate the "vision", as it were.
57 - --
58 Alexander
59 bernalex@g.o