From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: News item: GRUB security update
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 18:28:42
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 8:24 AM, Tobias Heinlein <keytoaster@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> On 18.12.2015 21:06, Mike Gilbert wrote:
6 >>> Hi, please review the news item below.
7 >> thanks for drafting this news item. However, the usual way to inform
8 >> users about security flaws is by sending a GLSA. :)
9 >>
10 >> Based on your news item, we have drafted a GLSA now. It's currently
11 >> pending review by one other member of the security team and we will send
12 >> it in a few hours.
13 >>
14 > << SNIP >>
15 > 2. Users probably don't regularly read GLSAs, since for the most part
16 > it just tells them to update packages they've probably already
17 > updated. How do we make ones that actually have instructions beyond
18 > updating stand out?
19 >
20 > I know I stopped reading GLSAs ages ago, because they tended to tell
21 > me to update to a package I had updated to a week before, and when
22 > they said something else 90% of the time it was because there was an
23 > error in the GLSA (usually this happened with subslots and the GLSA
24 > just said <n is vulnerable and the reality is that there were a number
25 > of ranges that were vulnerable vs fixed). Granted, I have caught one
26 > or two episodes over the years where the actual package might not have
27 > been completely addressed and an older slot needed fixing.
28 >
29 > I guess my point isn't that GLSAs are a bad thing, but users need a
30 > really high S/N ratio if we want them to pay attention. We need to
31 > separate the mundane from the important.
35 +1. Given all the changes that have been done, I don't even know how to
36 read them any more because I stopped a long time ago.
37
38 I might add, I also don't read blogs about this sort of thing. About
39 the only time I read a blog is if it is linked to here or on -user.
40 Other than that, rarely if ever.
41
42 All things considered, if it isn't a news item or something I follow on
43 this list, I may never know about it. I really depend on the news
44 items. Just keep the noise down or folks will start to ignore them too,
45 although y'all are good at it only telling us about things that affect us.
46
47 Dale
48