From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Request for Comment
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 15:34:33
1 Klaus-J. Wolf wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I am new to this list, but I am not new to Gentoo.
5 >
6 > Would you please discuss a GLEP draft, which I believe it might improve
7 > the usability of Gentoo?
8 >
9 > Text at:
10 >
11 > http://www.seismic.de/gentoo/gentoo_mask_proposal.html
12 >
13 > Technical details still missing...
14
15 Ignoring the huge maintenance issues already stated there are also
16 technical reasons speaking against this. First adding another file in
17 every package dir would bloat the tree considerably (estimate about 50
18 MB diskspace on "normal" filesystems). Second separting the metadata
19 from the ebuilds has major implications on portage (need a new parser,
20 API changes in core functions, complete change of semantics).
21 And finally of course there is this minor issue called transition.
22 So short version: no chance.
23
24 Marius
25 --