From: Kurt Pfeifle <kpfeifle@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Your Printing HOWTO...
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 04:07:38
1 ..doesn't even include the two important [global] parameters
2 "printing = cups" and "printcap = cups". Please re-read the
3 CUPS Software Administrator Manual, the Samba HOWTO Collection
4 and "man smb.conf". If you don't have time to re-read everything,
5 just search for those two phrases.
6
7 From what I see in questions popping up at various Linux- or
8 CUPS-printing related news sites, there are a lot of Gentoo
9 users currently experiencing problems with the "pstoraster"
10 functionality.
11
12 This prompts me to think that your developers haven't got
13 their "emerge" scripts right. They seem to have escaped the
14 important change in CUPS from 1.1.15, where this functionality
15 has been "outsourced" to the system Ghostscript installation,
16 which then, in turn, needs a "cups" device compiled-in (see
17 "gs -h" output). Best to use ESP Ghostscript (look at
18 Sourceforge), which seems to become the standard for most Linux
19 distros in any case... (otherwise you need to patch GNU
20 Ghostscript, or remain on CUPs 1.1.14 forever).
21
22 Cheers,
23 Kurt