From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] What features should be included in EAPI 2?
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 03:15:30
1 On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:27:03 +0100
2 Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5
6 > >> b) Does it really matter?
7 > >
8 > > In the grand scheme of things, no. In the grand scheme of things,
9 > > you only *need* a single src_ function. From a maintainer
10 > > convenience perspective, however, src_prepare is marginally more
11 > > useful than having a split src_configure.
12 > >
13 > How so?
14 >
15 > From a user point of view, and from a maintenance point of view,
16 > src_configure is very useful.
17
18 As a maintainer I would find it very useful to be able to do `ebuild
19 foo-1.ebuild <phase>` to get the build dir into following states:
20
21 a) pristine source (unpack)
22 b) patched, seded, eautoreconf'd, or
23 everything-else-we're-doing-in-src_unpack-right-now'd (prepare)
24 c) ./configured (configure)
25 d) compiled (compile)
26
27 the state between a) and b) is very useful as anyone who has
28 gone back and forth commenting and uncommenting epatch/eautoreconf lines
29 in src_unpack (ie. everyone) can attest. between c) and d) would be
30 less useful for me but still quite welcome.
34 gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
35 treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
36 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662