From: Manuzhai <mail@××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Do I really need the tree?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:40:55
1 Hi,
2
3 I've been thinking about Gentoo Linux for some time. I first installed
4 it a year ago, and I really liked it
5 (http://www.manuzhai.nl/weblog/related.keyword/gentoo-linux/). Since
6 then, I've installed it on my server and am in the process of getting a
7 workable desktop-installation on my workstation. I wonder about this,
8 though: do I really need the Portage tree.
9
10 I emerge sync my server about daily and my desktop somewhat irregular,
11 and I wonder: why do I have to do this. It seems (and I might be wrong
12 on this one) that I really only need package names, version numbers and
13 dependencies. These could easily be listed in a XML file (per category,
14 for example), which means I'd just have to download a few XML files
15 every time instead of having to rsync. I think the bandwidth use may be
16 equivalent, but mirroring would be a lot simpler and less CPU-intensive
17 if you just need to have a couple of XML files and a httpd.
18
19 So rephrasing my question: why do I have to download all these ebuilds
20 for software I never use? Just seems silly.
21
22 Regards,
23
24 Manuzhai