From: Robert Cole <robert.cole@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] creating ebuilds
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:01:53
1 On Tue January 06 2004 9:39 am, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:26:50 -0800 Robert Cole
3 >
4 > <robert.cole@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > | > I'm sorry for that. It however can be a sign that the tree is not
6 > | > ready for those ebuilds, or that they are in very low demand.
7 > |
8 > | If someone has gone their entire life using a rock to hammer nails and
9 > | has never heard of a hammer before and thus doesn't have the demand
10 > | for it does that mean that if they are told about the hammer they
11 > | won't use it or have a demand for always having it?
12 > |
13 > | Sometimes you create demand where one doesn't currently exist by
14 > | simply telling people about the hammer.
15 >
16 > *bzzzzt*, silly analogy detected. Putting something in portage is not
17 > telling people about it.
18
19 Really? I find new software all the time in the portage tree I never even knew
20 about and go to the referenced webpage to check it out. Now with the new
21 online packages area that has the days ebuilds its even easier to see new
22 stuff. I doubt I'm the only one but maybe I am.
23
24 > | If there is a way to make cvs ownership based that would be the
25 > | easiest administration wise. As in the ebuild(s) I submit I have
26 > | access to and nothing else.
27 >
28 > Uh, that's still enough to screw up portage completely. One suitably
29 > broken ebuild can still cause lots and lots of errors all over the
30 > place.
31
32 Then portage is more fragile than it should be. If I make an ebuild for a game
33 and submit it and it causes corruption then there is a deeper problem with
34 the portage tree than there should be. Submitting a new app should in no way
35 effect the integrity of the portage tree.
36
37 If what you say is true portage is badly broken. From my view outside of the
38 dev circle and cvs area portage seems fine and not broken. To me postage is
39 the killer app of the linux world. Damn thing has me hooked to the point I
40 can't stand other distros. :)
41
42 > I still don't see what's wrong with having a seperate repositry (eg
43 > "breakmygentoo") for things that don't make it into the "official" tree.
44
45 Or maybe this is the staging area that I've been pushing for. All that needs
46 to be done is an easy and painless way for a person with cvs access to the
47 gentoo tree to approve something in the breakmygentoo tree and move it over
48 to the gentoo tree if there isn't already.
49
50 Robert
53 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list