From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: repo/gentoo.git, or how committing is challenging
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 13:14:48
1 On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 7:53 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > I'd replace gkeys-gen with a ~10-line shell script ... if I had some
3 > motivation to dig through some old experiments of mine where I managed
4 > to set all parameters for pgp from CLI. Which is all that gkeys-gen
5 > would do!
6
7 Sounds great.
8
9 > I guess we fundamentally disagree - if you do shoddy work, it is shoddy.
10 > I won't praise you for it.
11
12 Nobody is looking for your praise.
13
14 > That's my time, spent to work around deficiencies I shouldn't even see -
15 > if other people had done their job. And that's just frustrating if it
16 > happens again and again, and instead of doing something interesting I
17 > spend most of my time just being janitor and cleaning up stuff.
18
19 I hope you're not the one looking for praise. I can't imagine that
20 your pep talk has done a great deal to motivate people to spend time
21 improving the Gentoo Keys experience.
22
23 Do you want to see this fixed?
24 Are you willing to do the fixing yourself?
25
26 If the answer to the first question is yes, and the second is no, then
27 you've just volunteered for the job of either community motivator, or
28 frustrated user. The goal then is to make people care more about
29 going out of their way to fix things than going out of their way to
30 find ways to make you even more frustrated. Which do you think is
31 going to be more emotionally satisfying to those who read this thread?
34 Rich