From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] How to deal with LINGUAS mess?
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 19:19:18
1 On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 09:41:28AM +0200, Micha?? Górny wrote
2
3 > I see the following possibilities:
4 >
5 > 1. We start explicitly listing linguas_* in all ebuilds, no matter how
6 > tiny they are. Maintainers are required to keep IUSE up-to-date
7 > and users are forced to rebuild a lot. This is also a QA violation
8 > in terms of invalid use of USE flags.
9 >
10 > 2. We hack-unset LINGUAS in ebuilds. This is a lot of effort, easy to
11 > miss and probably would need to repeated for every single phase anyway
12 > due to how global variables are handled in PMS. Additionally, it may
13 > break at some point since those variables are likely expected to be
14 > read-only anyway.
15 >
16 > 3. We remove LINGUAS from USE_EXPAND and stop using it. If ebuilds have
17 > a good reason to use flags for localization, we introduce a new,
18 > non-colliding USE_EXPAND for that. We also ask users to replace LINGUAS
19 > with the new flag in their make.conf files. LINGUAS gets the original
20 > upstream behavior back, and we eventually discourage it in favor of new
21 > INSTALL_MASK features (WiP) [2].
22 >
23 > 4. We fix build systems not to do magic depending on whether LINGUAS
24 > is unset or set-to-empty. Instead, we could some special special value
25 > like '-' to signify not installing localizations at all. But that's
26 > upstream thing to do, and breaks backwards compatibility with existing
27 > systems disabling localizations.
30 > Your thoughts?
31
32 5. An reversed variant of INSTALL_MASK in make.conf, e.g.
33 LOCALE_ALLOW="foo bar fubar"
34
35 which would block installing files in /usr/share/locale/* and
36 /usr/share/man/* EXCEPT for...
37
38 /usr/share/locale/foo
39 /usr/share/locale/bar
40 /usr/share/locale/fubar
41 /usr/share/man/foo
42 /usr/share/man/bar
43 /usr/share/man/fubar
44
45 6. Integrate localepurge into Portage, and run it post install
46
47 There are some lazy programmers out there who *DO NOT* respect the
48 LINGUAS setting, and splatter files throughout /usr/share/locale/* and
49 /usr/share/man/* regardless. That's the reason "localepurge" was
50 written in the first place. Any proposed solution should take that
51 problem into consideration, and handle it too.
54 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
55 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications