From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Output / End User Experience
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 15:43:04
1 On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > It shouldn't require *too* much modification to automate what you're
3 > trying to test. I intend to modify it to work in chroot environments,
4 > as a prelude to some build-related bug reports I'm sitting on.
5
6 Thanks - seems useful in general. Not sure I'll use it for this - a
7 chroot should be adequate to test this (I don't intend to actually run
8 KDE), and is much more efficient with CPU/RAM/etc.
9
10 One thing I did set up for doing VM installs of Gentoo is a PXE
11 enviornment that runs with an NFS root. I can stick stuff like
12 stage3s and portage snapshots and template config files on that NFS
13 root easily, and update it when necessary (though really the install
14 image really only needs to be updated to address hardware, which isn't
15 a big deal with VMs). It isn't anything too exciting, but maybe I
16 should write up a howto - there may already be some Gentoo PXE guides
17 already and any of those should basically work.
18
19 Rich