From: Mark Bainter <mark-gt@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Installer (2) [LARGE]
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 20:19:41
1 Matthew Kennedy [mkennedy@g.o] wrote:
2 > Justin Lambert <jlambert@×××.cc> writes:
3 >
4 > > back. It saves me a ton of time downloading things. This would be the kind
5 > > of things I (personally) would miss with an all in wonder installer.
6 >
7 > Aren't you all missing the point? *Both* the plain shell-based
8 > installer and the GUI would be available.
9
10 A noble goal. Unfortunately, reality doesn't work that way.
11 I see three potential outcomes to a project like this, based on the
12 presupposition that an installer cannot possibly be as flexible as the manual
13 method we currently use. I think it's a valid one, but I'm happy to argue it
14 if someone disputes this claim.
15
16 A) Because of the difficulties of getting the installer to play nice,
17 the flexibility of the current system is comprimised to make things
18 easier for installer development. This one isn't very likely with
19 gentoo, but it could happen.
20
21 B) The installer is made to work within what we currently have.
22 Users start to use it, and we get greener and greener people trying it.
23 Some of these people know enough to be dangerous (a common trait)
24 and go out of the installer long enough to change something. The
25 installer cannot possibly account for all possible changes to itself
26 so it wigs out. This happens more often as time passes, causing
27 frequent complaints to the list about "buggy" installer software.
28 Eventually, to avoid this, most of the manual stuff is removed to
29 protect the developers from the hordes of 20-watt bulbs who now
30 have infested the list.
31
32 C) The installer handles most of the situations, but has become so
33 huge in the attempt that either it or the manual methods must go.
34
35 So no, I'm not missing the point. I'm just looking forward far
36 enough, and looking at other projects where this kind of thing has
37 happened or nearly so, and sounding the warning now, rather than
38 later.
41 "If you've never walked into a parking meter, you're wasting valuable
42 reading time."
43 --Eloise Beltz-Deck