From: heroxbd@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dependencies default to accept any slot value acceptable (:*), can we default to :0 instead?
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 02:37:23
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
2
3 > A new slot of a package (which doesn't exist today) may or may not
4 > work with any ebuild in the system. Should it be considered a best
5 > practice then to specify || deps with all slots that are known to work
6 > in the tree? Or should we just trust to luck and consider it
7 > acceptable for maintainers to add new slots of commonly-used libs and
8 > users and downstream maintainers can deal with the resulting breakage?
9 >
10 > Library maintainers don't seem to like dealing with that, so they just
11 > stick new slots in an entirely new package, and then we end up with
12 > all the || dependencies anyway and we make no use of the nice slot
13 > syntax because it is prone to breakage.
14 >
15 > It seems like the current way we handle slots for dependencies works
16 > just fine until somebody actually tries to introduce a new slot for a
17 > package, and then a whole pile of assumptions comes crashing down.
18
19 How about defining a QA workflow for introducing a new slot of a
20 library, such as "mask it and open a tracker bug until every individual
21 reverse dependencies are checked"?
22
23 Benda