From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmasking modular X
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:27:28
1 On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:08:07 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | > Uh, given that you can do that with old style virtuals, methinks
4 | > that isn't the case...
5 |
6 | Only by modifying every ebuild that has a virtual/x11 dependency. The
7 | atom "virtual/x11" cannot be limited to specific versions on its own
8 | with old style virtuals.
9
10 Oh? There's at least one old style virtual that specifies a full dep
11 atom rather than a package name. I know this because it broke my first
12 virtuals parser that was expecting a straight name...
13
14 | The premise for not doing this is that packages will never be fixed,
15 | right? Why not make the modular X provide virtual/x11 and just
16 | institute a policy that no new packages can go into stable with a
17 | virtual/x11 dependency? It could even be easily enforcable if
18 | necessary.
19
20 Much more sensible.
23 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (King of all Londinium)
24 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
25 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm