From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [pre-GLEP] Optional runtime dependencies via runtime-switchable USE flags
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 16:42:04
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 25/09/12 12:25 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:19:21 -0400 Ian Stakenvicius
6 > <axs@g.o> wrote:
7 >>> a) How do we provide a good user interface for it? It took an
8 >>> awful lot of experimenting to get the exheres-0 suggestions
9 >>> user interface to be good, and it requires quite a bit more
10 >>> information from the package side than this proposal is
11 >>> providing. We want to avoid a REQUIRED_USE here...
12 >
13 >> Standard USE flag interface. This doesn't need anything special.
14 >> Why will a user care if the flag doesn't trigger a package
15 >> rebuild?
16 >
17 > One of the big selling points of suggestions is displaying them to
18 > the user in a useful way (i.e. not via a bunch of einfo messages).
19 > If you're not planning to allow for that, then you're losing a
20 > primary benefit.
23 Must've missed that. I don't much care about showing things about
24 optional program interation to users on emerge. In fact I see that as
25 being pretty well useless. Use flag descriptions via metadata.xml ,
26 though, are *MUCH* more useful and imo suited entirely to this.
27
28 (so again, standard use flag interface :)
31 >>> b) How is consistency checking to be done? Related, what
32 >>> happens when a runtime switch introduces a dependency that then
33 >>> requires a non-runtime rebuild of the original package?
34 >
35 >> flag needs to be dropped from IUSE_RUNTIME, so the rebuild would
36 >> occur.
37 >
38 > Uh, you're requiring ebuilds to ensure consistency of every
39 > possible configuration of the entire tree?
40
41 No, only on a per-atom basis. Maybe I didn't understand what it is
42 you're referring to here. Could you elaborate the issue you are
43 forseeing with a verbose example?
47 >>> c) How do we deal with flag? ( cat/dep[foo] ) or flag? (
48 >>>> =cat/dep-2.1 ) cases where cat/dep[-foo] or =cat/dep-2.0 is
49 >>> installed and flag is off? From experience, quite a few places
50 >>> where you'd want to use suggestions will break if their
51 >>> suggested package is installed but doesn't meet version or use
52 >>> requirements.
53 >
54 >> Use flag deps are dealt with identically to the way they are now.
55 >> the only difference , again, is that the package doesn't get
56 >> re-emerged. The VDB would still update imo as if the package did
57 >> get re-emerged (ie: USE and RDEPEND would update), to handle the
58 >> use flag change info in metadata but from what I can tell nothing
59 >> else would need to be touched.
60 >
61 > So such packages would just break at runtime?
64 Again, you lost me. The package is still added to the emerge list
65 same as always, and its dependencies (based on USE) are evaluated same
66 as always. The package just doesn't REBUILD, because a rebuild would
67 not result in any change-on-disk.
68
69 If there are conflicts in the emerge list then these would be reported
70 just like if IUSE_RUNTIME wasn't used at all...??