From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:16:22
1 On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 09:50 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Hi Donnie,
5 Lots of interesting material in this thread, and I haven't come close to
6 processing it all. I am briefly responding to two of Stuart's points
7 just to try to cut off further attempts to recall history. For those of
8 you who want controversy, I'm afraid I'm going to disappoint you,
9 because I am just going to say "yes, I was there and you have it
10 right." :)
14 ======
15 Lots of things snipped
16 =======
17
18 > > Around the same time, more cries of "Democracy!" and "Eliminate the
19 > > cabal!" forced developer relations (devrel) to come up with a huge,
20 > > bureaucratic, court-like system for disciplining pretty much the same
21 > > group of people again.
22 >
23 > That's not how I remember it. The court-like system was a direct
24 > consequence to the way that Ciaran's first suspension was handled.
25 > Plenty of folks felt that the way it was done left a very bad taste in
26 > the mouth, and the system that followed was an attempt to address
27 > those genuine problems.
30 This is correct.
31
32 > > Everyone treated it like a world of extremes of
33 > > good and evil, where democracy is absolutely good and purity, and
34 > > anything other than that is evil. This added bureaucracy has essentially
35 > > rendered this side of devrel powerless, meaningless and useless.
36 >
37 > I'm not sure how you can justify that statement. To the best of my
38 > knowledge, that system has only been tested in full the once - when
39 > Brian was suspended from the project and Ciaran was expelled.
42 This is also correct. The procedure turned out to be very hard to
43 implement in practice, and I accept responsibility for some of the
44 difficulties. However, we (devrel) did use it successfully with results
45 as Stuart remembers.
46
47 Since then, we have examined the conflict resolution policy pretty
48 carefully, and policy is under revision. I do not believe the revised
49 policy is posted yet, but if we ever need to use such a process again,
50 it should move fairly but more quickly.
55 > Best regards,
56 > Stu
57 > --
58 > PS: Isn't it fascinating how different folks can live through the same
59 > events, but end up with different perspectives on it? :)
62 Regards,
63 Ferris
64 --
65 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
66 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)