From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:30:47
1 On 2006.08.24 01:17, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > I just posted this to my blog [1], but I know you don't all read it so
3 > I
4 > wanted to post it here as well. Do read all the way through. I very
5 > rarely write anything this long, and when I do, it's something I feel
6 > very strongly about.
7 >
8 > I started my fourth year as a Gentoo developer in June, and Gentoo's
9 > changed a lot since I started back in 2003. We've become a drastically
10 > more democratic organization. But the question remains — _Is this a
11 > good
12 > thing?_
13 >
14 > When I think about where Gentoo was when we turned into a democracy
15 > years ago, and where Gentoo is now, I don't see much of a difference
16 > on
17 > the large scale. We lack any global vision for where Gentoo is going,
18 > we
19 > can't agree on who our audience is, and everyone's just working on
20 > pretty much whatever they feel like.
21 >
22 > When I joined, Daniel Robbins was in charge, period. Seemant Kulleen
23 > and
24 > Jon Portnoy were basically his lieutenants. What Daniel said was what
25 > happened, and woe to anyone who angered him. This generally worked out
26 > pretty well, but _as Gentoo grew, it didn't scale_. Everything
27 > significant still had to go through Daniel for personal approval.
28 >
29 > Shortly after I finished training and became an "official" developer,
30 > Gentoo gained its first real structure via Gentoo Linux Enhancement
31 > Proposal (GLEP) 4 — "Gentoo top-level management structure proposal".
32 > The GLEP process itself was quite new then; GLEP 4 was really only the
33 > second proposed GLEP (the first two were details related to the GLEP
34 > process) and the first one that was accepted. _Its goal was to improve
35 > communication and coordination as well as increase accountability_.
36 >
37 > GLEP 4 formalized a hierarchy of so-called "top-level" projects —
38 > between 5 and 10 major areas into which everything in Gentoo could be
39 > divided. Daniel appointed the original project managers, who served
40 > under him.
41 >
42 > Democratic elections entered Gentoo when we realized that we needed to
43 > create a new top-level project for all the desktop work, because it
44 > didn't fit into any existing project. Since managers already voted
45 > amongst themselves on GLEPs, it seemed like a natural extension for
46 > them
47 > to vote on a new manager. The call for nominations is archived online.
48 > I'd been a developer for around six months at this point, and by then
49 > I
50 > was the lead X maintainer. Brandon Hale was active in maintaining
51 > window
52 > managers and other miscellaneous applets and such. Turns out that the
53 > vote tied, so we became co-managers.
54 >
55 > I didn't realize it at the time, but that was the beginning of a very
56 > slippery slope.
57 >
58 > Gentoo used to be a courteous, friendly development community where
59 > nobody was afraid to speak his mind for fear of insult and injury. I
60 > see
61 > a clear correlation between the growth in democracy and the departure
62 > of
63 > courtesy. Once people are empowered to vote on every decision, rather
64 > than just having their discussion taken as input in a decision, they
65 > get
66 > a lot more vehement, argumentative and forceful about getting their
67 > way.
68 > _Flamewars and loud arguments going on for hundreds of posts have
69 > become
70 > commonplace, despite the occasional outcry_. Here's one such outcry,
71 > on
72 > March 20, 2006, to the private developers' list:
73 >
74 > What I've seen for the last 18 months or more is a general
75 > degeneration
76 > in the attitudes of developers for their fellow developers. When I
77 > joined, the attitude of people was friendly and welcoming. I screwed
78 > up a couple of times. I didn't get my ass handed to me. I got picked
79 > up, and comforted. And taught and tutored. ...
80 >
81 > So, we split from the Gentoo Technologies company, to a community
82 > owned
83 > Gentoo Foundation. And now everyone was empowered. Everyone has a
84 > voice. Some louder than others. The unfortunate thing is that with
85 > this empowerment came a bit of assholishness. With rare exception,
86 > we're pretty much all guilty of that. Someone makes a spelling error
87 > in
88 > a commit, and that leads to flamefests on irc and mailing lists and
89 > blog entries. And so on, ad nauseum.
90 >
91 > Frankly, I'm sick of it. It's burning people out. We're burning
92 > ourselves out by being this way. It's time to stop this shit. To
93 > everyone reading this, you've arrived at the important bit. From now,
94 > please try this little thing. When you're on the mailing lists or the
95 > fora or irc channels or in /query or somehow in the gentoo 'verse,
96 > please try, just try, to be a little bit nicer to the people with
97 > whom
98 > you're interacting. That's all. Have a little respect (even if not
99 > deserved!). Listen a little. Hold back the snide comment, the
100 > sarcastic remark. I don't mean to get all Oprah on you all, but I
101 > hope
102 > you see my point -- just be nice for a change.
103 >
104 > The vocal minority often gets its way, despite 99% of the other
105 > developers being happy with any given situation.
106 >
107 > The problem got so bad that our Developer Relations team wrote up an
108 > etiquette guide. Unsurprisingly, the same vocal minority that
109 > generally
110 > behaves like an ass and violates said etiquette guide erupted in
111 > flames
112 > over it, and it ended up fading into an existing but largely
113 > irrelevant
114 > piece of writing.
115 >
116 > Around the same time, more cries of "Democracy!" and "Eliminate the
117 > cabal!" forced developer relations (devrel) to come up with a huge,
118 > bureaucratic, court-like system for disciplining pretty much the same
119 > group of people again. Everyone treated it like a world of extremes of
120 > good and evil, where democracy is absolutely good and purity, and
121 > anything other than that is evil. This added bureaucracy has
122 > essentially
123 > rendered this side of devrel powerless, meaningless and useless.
124 >
125 > All in all, the vocal minority has done a splendid job of becoming
126 > more
127 > influential, crippling Gentoo's ability to do anything at all about
128 > its
129 > members, their flames, their outstanding work at ruining people's fun
130 > and enjoyment of Gentoo, and their waste of everyone else's time.
131 >
132 > How can we do anything about this? As people such as Mike Auty have
133 > pointed out, the problem could be with the increasing barrage of
134 > rules,
135 > regulations and policies to which we're expected to adhere. Take a
136 > look
137 > at the FreeBSD committers' rules. Rule one is "Respect other
138 > committers," and rule two is "Respect other contributors." Take a look
139 > at the importance of courtesy and care to avoid creating long-term
140 > disagreements in rule one:
141 >
142 > Being able to work together long term is this project's greatest
143 > asset,
144 > one far more important than any set of changes to the code, and
145 > turning
146 > arguments about code into issues that affect our long-term ability to
147 > work harmoniously together is just not worth the trade-off by any
148 > conceivable stretch of the imagination. ...
149 >
150 > First calm down, then think about how to communicate in the most
151 > effective fashion for convincing the other person(s) that your side
152 > of
153 > the argument is correct, do not just blow off some steam so you can
154 > feel better in the short term at the cost of a long-term flame war.
155 > Not
156 > only is this very bad “energy economics”, but repeated displays of
157 > public aggression which impair our ability to work well together will
158 > be dealt with severely by the project leadership and may result in
159 > suspension or termination of your commit privileges.
160 >
161 > Or how about the Ubuntu Code of Conduct? The first two rules are "Be
162 > considerate" and "Be respectful." Again, note that these rules are
163 > actually enforced. As has been pointed out on the Gentoo development
164 > list, you can have respect without courtesy. But Gentoo needs both!
165 > One
166 > just isn't good enough.
167 >
168 > But what about Gentoo? We don't have any overriding principles like
169 > this
170 > from which all of the standards for behavior derive. Instead, we have
171 > a
172 > large document explaining specifically and in detail what's allowed
173 > and
174 > what isn't, and even that is ignored. Because of the bureaucracy and
175 > the
176 > lack of respect for devrel's role, we're effectively powerless to do
177 > anything when people behave in a way for which the FreeBSD project's
178 > leadership would kick them to the curb.
179 >
180 > I'm not the only one to suggest that a democracy isn't the most
181 > productive way to run Gentoo. When people wanted to change in how
182 > Gentoo
183 > was run, democracy was the only option considered, rather than simply
184 > changing the leaders. There's an ongoing assumption that if problems
185 > exist, it must be somewhere in the structure rather than in the
186 > people.
187 >
188 > If I could go back in time a couple of years and prevent this
189 > democracy
190 > from ever happening, I would. If I could fix these problems myself, I
191 > would. But it requires buy-in from the entire Gentoo community if
192 > we're
193 > to do anything about it.
194 >
195 > Thanks,
196 > Donnie
197 >
198 > P.S. -- if you want the links, you can get them from my blog post.
199 >
200 > 1. http://spyderous.livejournal.com/80869.html
204 I think the problem(s) stem from the way Gentoo is organised now. I'm
205 sure you will shoot me down if I'm wrong. In summary. Gentoo is a loose
206 knit group of packages with individuals belonging to one or more of the
207 herds that maintain them. The herd/team leads are supposed to 'get
208 along' but on occasions, this doesn't happen. Above them is the
209 council.
210
211 If that's wrong, stop reading here.
212
213 Lets define Management - its a process of planning, communicating the
214 plan, getting buy in from the team(s) who will execute the plan,
215 gathering feedback on progress and replanning. It looks cyclic but its
216 really a set of concurrent activities. Google PRINCE2 for the details.
217
218 At the top level, the council, in its present form does not manage
219 Gentoo. It can't, it's pretty much disempowered as a management
220 organisation due to the rules for its agenda setting. Further, don't
221 see any any evidence of it setting targets and measuring progress or
222 even getting progress reports. There has been another thread about that
223 already.
224
225 The team leads may very well Manage (see above definition) their teams
226 but I see no evidence of that happening for Gentoo as a single project,
227 nor of any body (individual or group of people) that's supposed or
228 empowered to do it.
229
230 There are pros and cons of having an individual or a group of people
231 appointed to manage Gentoo. Hats discussed elsewhere in this thread
232 but at the moment it appears its not being done at all, which is the
233 cause of all the friction.
234
235 If the council are to undertake the management of Gentoo, its terms of
236 reference need to be drastically altered to allow them to undertake the
237 management process defined above.
238
239 All the Gentoo devs suffer from 'real life' they are all well aware
240 that management decisions are made for the the good of the project, not
241 to satisfy the self interests of the contributors (its good if it can
242 happen) so they understand they won't get their own way all the time,
243 just as in real life.
244
245 In short, Gentoo has a top level power vacuum, allowing what amounts to
246 the 'power struggle 'we see today.
247
248 Regards,
249