From: MIkey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: bootstrapping since gcc 3.4 is stable
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:15:21
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2
3 > The ebuilds are not done in that way, the problem is portage's inability
4 > to handle this. There is no way ebuilds could solve this problem except
5 > not having the dependency. What is needed to solve it is merge perl
6 > without ssl support, merge openssl, merge perl with ssl support. This is
7 > however not clear to portage, so it doesn't know how to solve this. Such
8 > dependencies are mainly present in system, so starting from a stage 3
9 > solves all these problems.
10
11 This bug (39318) has persisted since 2004-01-25, with the most recent bite
12 reported on 2005-12-07. It is not a problem unique to stage1 or stage3.
13 Since portage apparently does not always handle circular dependencies
14 gracefully, the problem is not solved by a stage3 install, it is deferred.
15
16 Regardless, it can more easily be accounted for in bootstrap.sh than tearing
17 up portage completely. It still has to be accounted for to build the
18 official stage3 releases. Lastly, for some reason I have not run into this
19 particular problem when building from stage1 for a while now.
20
21 No way? I get the feeling that anything is possible :)
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list