From: Mike Gardiner <obz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resolution - GTK Useflag Situation
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:55:37
1 On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 07:28 -0500, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 03:48:43PM +0000, John N. Laliberte wrote:
3 > > * "but you are taking away choice!" - If a program has both GTK2 and GTK3
4 > > interfaces, there are many ways to allow for testing of the experimental
5 > > interface. For instance, package.mask with a revision number.
6 >
7 > package.mask isn't a perfect fit from where I sit; if it's already merged
8 > (say for development), but the developer has masked gtk-3, all pkgs
9 > that prefer gtk-3 will continue linking against it till gtk-3 is
10 > unmerged regardless of the masking.
13 For an example to illustrate what John meant by using package.mask,
14 assuming gtk-3 is masked, and we have an appfoo with a default gtk-2
15 interface and an experimental gtk-3 interface.
16
17 The un-package.masked ebuilds will always build against gtk-2, as that'd
18 be the designated interface by the developer. By always build against, I
19 mean gtk-2 would be the default interface - so it'd specify
20 --enable-gtk2/--disable-gtk3 or explicitly not use automagic to detect
21 gtk-3 and always use gtk-2.
22
23 We could have a package.mask'ed appfoo-rX ebuild that builds with the
24 gtk-3 interface as it becomes more mature.
25
26 This is sort of an extension of "developer knows best" when choosing
27 which gtk+ interface to make the default.
28
29 Mike Gardiner
30 (Obz)
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list