From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 05:03:01
1 On Fri, 2017-08-11 at 19:50 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 >
3 > == New revisions for USE flag changes ==
4 >
5 > I suggest that in hindsight, we can do better.
6
7 Not all IUSE changes are equal and thus a policy that treats them all
8 the same doesn't make sense to me. Maintainers are in a better position
9 to judge whether or not a new revision is needed.
10
11 > == tl;dr ==
12 >
13 > We would be better off with respect to IUSE changes and revisions if
14 > we
15 > deleted the --changed-use and --newuse flags right now, and just
16 > required developers to revbump when changing IUSE.
17
18 I don't see how these flags can be removed. You are describing a
19 policy, but this won't change the fact that IUSE changes are still
20 technically possible and will still happen, intentional or otherwise.
21
22 Hans