From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: My wishlist for EAPI 5
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 08:30:38
1 Richard Yao posted on Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:50:33 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 06/20/2012 04:35 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 >> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:25:30 -0400 Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
5
6 >>> POSIX Shell compliance
7 >>
8 >> So far as I know, every PM relies heavily upon bash anyway (and can't
9 >> easily be made not to), so even if developers would accept having to
10 >> rewrite all their eclasses, it still wouldn't remove the dep.
11 >>
12 > Lets address POSIX compliance in the ebuilds first. Then we can deal
13 > with the package managers.
14
15 Additionally, this is extremely unlikely because a number of developers
16 insist on bash, to the extent that it would likely split gentoo in half
17 if this were to be forced. It wouldn't pass council. It's unlikely to
18 even /get/ to council.
19
20 Openrc could move to POSIX shell because its primary dev at the time
21 wanted it that way and it's only a single package. However, even then,
22 doing it was controversial enough that said developer ended up leaving
23 gentoo in-part over that, tho he did continue to develop openrc as a
24 gentoo hosted project for quite some years. Now you're talking trying to
25 do it for /every/ (well, almost every) package, thus touching every
26 single gentoo dev. It's just not going to happen in even the medium term
27 (say for argument APIs 5-7ish), let alone be something practical enough
28 to implement, soon enough (even if everyone agreed on the general idea,
29 they don't), to be anything like conceivable for EAPI5.
30
31 So just let that one be. It's simply not worth tilting at that windmill.
32
33 (Arguably, multi-arch, while practical and actually working at least with
34 portage in an overlay, fails that last bit as well. If it was pushed,
35 perhaps for EAPI6 or 7, but it's just not practical to consider it for
36 EAPI5... unless you want to wait 3-5 years for EAPI5!)
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman