From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] wiki.gentoo.org
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 15:07:57
1 On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 04:00:34PM -0400, Alexander Plank wrote:
2 > Maybe a good idea would be a type of system in which edits would need
3 > to be certified as accurate by a developer before added to the site. Or
4 > maybe we could have a system where the "unstable version" is editable
5 > by anyone, but the stable version (the one that people read if they
6 > want to follow a guide) needs to be fact checked by a developer.
7
8 The main issue with user-contributed documentation isn't to convert it to
9 GuideXML (really, I can do that in a few minutes for each page), but rather
10 to maintain it. Although some contributors keep on updating their
11 documentation we've put online, most user-contributed documentation is
12 updated by Gentoo (Documentation) Developers who know the subject well
13 enough.
14
15 Maintaining a guide is horrible if you don't know the subject. Take ALSA for
16 instance: the main author of the guide doesn't even use Linux anymore. It's
17 widely used but we have some bugs pertaining to MIDI support: who's up for
18 the challenge? I don't use MIDI and I don't think any of the doc-devs do. So
19 how would we update the guide?
20
21 If we would just trust the user's accuracy we might end up with what we now
22 have on the "Documentation, Tips & Tricks" forum on
23 http://forums.gentoo.org: lengthy discussions about how wrong this is and
24 what needs to be added and rewritten and ...
25
26 Allthough that approach leads to documentation that is fairly accurate, it's
27 quite difficult to write it fluently for the user. Try writing a guide on
28 Software Watermarking if you don't even know how an application behaves
29 in-memory.
30
31 I can only *hope* that users keep on contributing documentation to the
32 Gentoo Documentation Repository; if I or any other doc-dev knows the subject
33 it will easily be added.
34
35 Wkr,
36 Sven Vermeulen
39 Bent Hindrup Andersen, Danish MEP, about the Software Patent Directive:
40 The approach of the Commission and Council in this directive is shocking.
41 They are making full use of all the possibilities of evading democracy that
42 the current Community Law provides. <http://lwn.net/Articles/84009/>