From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages without source code
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 09:39:19
1 >>>>> On Thu, 3 Jan 2013, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 >> We could easily solve this by adding a "binary-only" or
5 >> "no-source-code" tag to such packages. It would be included in the
6 >> @BINARY-REDISTRIBUTABLE license group, but not in @FREE. So such
7 >> packages would be excluded for users with ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FREE".
8
9 > As long as it is also marked with the BSD license I don't have a
10 > problem with this. The license is, in fact, BSD, so we do need to
11 > keep that info around.
12
13 >> Thinking about the name, "no-source-code" might be a better choice
14 >> than "binary-only". As the GPL defines it, "The source code for a
15 >> work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications
16 >> to it." This may be binary, e.g. for pictures in a bitmap format.
17
18 > I understand the distinction adds value to our users, but I find it
19 > amusing that a computer scientist would even try to define the term
20 > "source code." :)
21
22 Coming back to this old thread. I've recently added a "no-source-code"
23 license file [1]. This should be used for packages whose license would
24 otherwise match @FREE, but that don't qualify as free software because
25 of the missing source code.
26
27 Obviously, "no-source-code" alone isn't a license, so it cannot be the
28 only element of an ebuild's LICENSE variable.
29
30 Ulrich
31
32 [1] http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/licenses/no-source-code?view=markup