From: Mounir Lamouri <volkmar@g.o>
To: Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@×××.de>, gentoo-soc@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>, dberkholz@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gsoc-status] portage backend for PackageKit
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:20:44
1 Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
2 > Am Montag, 15. Juni 2009 22:51:52 schrieb Mounir Lamouri:
3 >
4 >> I'm working on a portage backend for PackageKit.
7 > Could you give us a small status update?
8 >
9 > Does your backend already work?
10 >
11 > Best wishes,
12 > Arn
13 Hi,
14
15 It has been a while without weekly updates even if my mentor suffers^W
16 benefits of frequent updates, I didn't get really interesting things to
17 be said here.
18 Actually, I had some issues with the last functions I had to re-write.
19
20 The backend is now ready. You should be able to do anything in a
21 beta/realease candidate quality.
22 Even if I think there are still two features that can (timely speaking)
23 and need (user's point of view speaking) to be added:
24 - configuration file update
25 - messages / warning / errors show
26 They are not critical for testing but only for a daily usage.
27
28 I've already done the portage work for the first feature but I will have
29 to add signal to packagekit because even if debian also needs it, it
30 hasn't been implemented yet. The bad thing is GUI will probably not
31 manage this feature since a quite long time.
32 The second feature shouldn't be really hard.
33
34 About the packaging. I've worked on a packagekit ebuild and even if I
35 didn't take time to add it to the tree it could be done without a lot of
36 work but there is not real need at the moment because -as I said before-
37 without a GUI, packagekit is quite useless and last version of
38 gnome-packagekit needs a version gnome-policykit that is not in the tree.
39 As the backend should now be working correctly for a real usage it will
40 probably add packagekit live ebuild in the tree but if you want to test
41 the backend, I recommand you to clone packagekit and gnome-packakit
42 repositories, it will be easier ;)
43
44 After these two features, I will probably have some small things and
45 bugs and I will move to big things for packagekit or portage needed to
46 make the backend better. Indeed, there are a lot of things I've listed
47 that are not really needed for a working backend and too big to be part
48 of the gsoc. For example, merging layman into portage (actually, API
49 will be easy but UI probably less) and having a non-verbose portage API
50 because backends are using stdout for signals.
51
52 If by any chance, you test the backend, do not hesitate to contact me
53 for bug reports or comments.
54
55 Thanks,
56 Mounir