From: Brad Laue <brad@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo part II.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:55:59
1 Brandon Low wrote:
2 > if we go any further toward managing
3 > things, we're going to lose a lot of what many of us consider what is
4 > GOOD about Gentoo, the FUN, the excitement, the 'cool' factor of being
5 > able to SEE changes help users in almost real time without having to
6 > wade through bullshit to do it.
7
8 This is a unique quality, one Gentoo has created by means of its
9 friendly developer community and its fast paced movement. I don't
10 believe any other distribution can do what Gentoo does.
11
12 > These are users who (I would guess)
13 > close to half run ~x86 bleeding edge sometimes broken apps because it is
14 > FUN. These people have NO interest in politics or in the runnings of an
15 > OSS project, they just want to see their favorite apps, and the latest
16 > greatest toys on their desktops NOW, and they will not only help, but
17 > ENJOY helping to fix issues which come up.
18
19 Exactly.
20
21 > See above, we're not a democracy, managers in an OSS project are there
22 > because they earned the respect of their peers sufficiently to get that
23 > place. I DARE ** DARE ** someone to try to convince Linus or any of his
24 > core people to have 'terms of office' in their roles, and see just how
25 > fast whomever suggests it bites the dust.
28 > No offence, Zhen, I like you, and I like your work, but I almost
29 > completely disagree about the best direction for this project to take in
30 > order to remain the great and fun project it is and to be able to
31 > continue to grow and innovate in the great ways it has been for recent
32 > years.
35 Not to incite an argument, but I think we can all see the areas where
36 Debian fails to be a shining example of Linux development. I see a great
37 number of suggestions being made that call for Gentoo to move more in
38 line with Debian's development structure, and it smacks of not being
39 able to learn from the mistakes of the past.
40
41 As I said above, Gentoo is unique, it is not Debian. I think a
42 management structure and a methodology for shaping Gentoo's future must
43 be very different from that of Debian if Gentoo is to maintain that
44 uniqueness.
45
46 Democracy in a development environment will create chaos. A constitution
47 is going to create a distant core team environment which, as we've seen,
48 has not been of benefit lately to XFree86 or the FreeBSD project, let
49 alone Debian itself - there will be constant bickering over legalities
50 and entitlements. Restricting the length of time in which a manager can
51 remain a manager doesn't make any sense. Isn't someone only going to get
52 better at their job, the longer they do it (rhetorical)?
53
54 Cheers,
55 Brad
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list