From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new virtual -- virtual/go to fix go build time dependencies
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 03:46:02
1 On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 7:18 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > the dependencies for dev-lang/go need to force a rebuild every time the
5 > compiler is downgraded or upgraded.
6
7 This already happens for me. It is working as expected.
8
9 > To avoid abusing slot dependencies for dev-lang/go since it is not
10 > needed at runtime I need to do the following.
11 >
12 > I need to introduce virtual/go-1.7.5, virtual/go-1.8 and
13 > virtual/go-9999. The attachment shows 1.8 but it is the same for all
14 > versions.
15 >
16 > Also, the attached patch needs to be applied to golang-base.eclass.
17 >
18 > This is based on the following wiki page:
19 >
20 > Ahttps://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Subslots#Using_virtuals_to_expose_multiple_ABIs
21 >
22 > Any thoughts?
23
24 I don't see how introducing a layer of indirection solves any problem here.