From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Too many kernels?
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:32:57
1 Grant Goodyear wrote:
2
3 > # ls /usr/portage/sys-kernel -l | grep -v CVS | wc -l
4 > 44
5 >
6 > Anybody know which kernels are actually being used? Which have active
7 > maintainers? Given the goal of a quick response to kernel
8 > vulnerabilities, it seems clear that each kernel needs a redundancy of
9 > two to three people who can update handle patches when the need arises.
10 > (That doesn't mean we need 3*44 kernel devs; a high degree of
11 > overlapping would be fine.)
12
13 I'm probably going to dump mips-prepatch-sources (which is an empty
14 directory anyways), as I've decided that maintaining -rc, -pre or -bk
15 ebuilds becomes too much of a hassle as they move too quickly.
18 --Kumba
21 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world:
22 small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are
23 elsewhere." --Elrond
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list