From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Java 9 on Gentoo
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 20:08:48
1 On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 23:41:53 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 21:42:59 -0600
5 > Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > You seem to know a bit about this, has there been a bug made
8 > > outlining the troubles we will encounter as you know them?
9 >
10 > No
11
12 A user did file a bug for Java 9. Which the response they received from
13 Gentoo discouraged them and they closed it. Nice!!!!
14 https://bugs.gentoo.org/634698
15
16 IMHO no way to respond to a user. Their reaction is the exact reason
17 why. When others showed in #gentoo-java asking about 9. I first stated
18 I guess no one cares since no bug has been filed. To my surprise one
19 was, and it was closed due a rude response from Gentoo. They could have
20 not commented at all.... Bug would have remained open. Doubt that users
21 will return... Much less help out etc.
22
23 My response and attitude is because the only reason Java 9 was not in
24 tree zero day release, is because of Gentoo itself.
25 https://bugs.gentoo.org/634698#c5
26
27 I would have had it in log ago and maintained since. Much less discover
28 all the issues I am now and fixing them in tree vs overlay.
29 Dec 5, 2016
30 https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/commit/f90d8b21c39dbe8684e0951b845c43fae2ba6cfc#diff-0ecef02a46ed32d29b482614d71d229f
31 https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/commits/master/dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin
32