From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Holger Hoffstätte" <holger@××××××××××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposal to undeprecate EGO_SUM
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 05:54:09
1 On Tue, 2022-06-14 at 19:03 +0200, Florian Schmaus wrote:
2 > On 14.06.22 18:33, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
3 > > So my idea here is: instead of chucking EGO_SUM (automatically
4 > > generated declarative dependency management) out the window, can we not
5 > > separate the two and instead of uploading the tarball upload the
6 > > dependency set instead?
7 > I think that this idea that has been pitched already (see for example
8 > Robin's post [1]), although in a broader non-Go-specific sense and it is
9 > one obvious way to move forward.
10 >
11 > An, and probably the largest, obstacle is that this can not be
12 > implemented in an eclass alone. Due the sandboxing during the build
13 > process, fetching distfiles, which is what we are talking about, is the
14 > package managers job and hence, I believe, this would require adustments
15 > to the package manager and package manager specification (PMS).
16 >
17 > The basic idea, at least to my understanding (or how I would propose
18 > it), is to have a new top-level ebuild variable
19 >
20 > SRC_URI_FILE="https://example.org/manifests/restic-0.13.1.files"
21 >
22 > where restic-0.13.1.files contains lines like
23 >
24 > <SRC_URI> <SIZE> <HASH> [<TARGET_FILENAME>]
25 >
26 > which is, as you nicely demonstrated on the restic ebuild, where the
27 > bytes contributing to the ebuild size bloat originate from.
28 >
29 > Those bytes are now outsourced from ::gentoo, can be fetched on-demand,
30 > allowing the package manager to download the individual distfiles into
31 > DISTDIR, where an, e.g., the go eclass can process them further within
32 > the constraints of the security sandbox.
35 Anything that involves breaking the Portage plan-depgraph / fetch&build
36 separately would require major architectural changes, so can be rejected
37 immediately as "not going to be implemented in our lifetimes".
40 Best regards,
41 Michał Górny