From: Imre Solti <isolti@×××××××××.edu>
To: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
Cc: Olivier Cr?te <tester@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 02:03:05
1 I am not a developer but an enterprise user.
2
3 Kurt Lieber wrote:
4 > On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 07:22:42PM +0100 or thereabouts, Olivier Cr?te wrote:
5
6 >>Maybe one year is still too short? I'd propose a much longer period (3
7 >>years), I understand that this is a lot of work for the infrastructure,
8 >>but even at 3 years, its max 12 ebuilds per package...
11 > I don't object to making it longer, although I think 3 years is sort of
12 > extreme.
13
14 I do not think in enterprise three years are extreme at all. Not even
15 long. RH enterprise line is five years guaranteed.
16 Paying for that service is also something what all enterprise users
17 would do. Just do not make it as outrageous as RH made. Something along
18 the $100/year/machine is OK. I am working for a Small/Medium Business.
19 We would pay that money as we did for the RH Network until they started
20 to charge astronomical subscription price. $100/year/machine for the
21 peace of mind that what I am installing will never break the system is
22 quite good deal actually. Less is even better of course :-). You can use
23 the money to build/maintain Gentoo's own hardware and broadband
24 infrastructure what you could use for the non-stable/non-enterprise
25 branch, too. A non-profit status would help in to get people accept that
26 money is for the good of the community.
27
28 Just my opinion.
29
30 Imre