From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Banning modification of pkg-config files
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 06:06:18
1 On Sat, May 10, 2014, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 10, 2014, hasufell wrote:
3 > > Longterm, this makes it year after year more difficult to develop
4 > > software for "Linux". Instead (like valve), people start to develop for
5 > > certain distros only (like Ubuntu), because it's just too much work to
6 > > bother with all this hackery-here-hackery-there-incompatible-here
7 > > things. Maybe also a reason they start to bundle all libraries for every
8 > > single game (among the convenience factor), effectively decreasing
9 > > security overall.
10 >
11 > I'm with you here, but what is the solution?
12
13 He outlined the solution and seemant resolved the implementation
14 "difficulty" question the day before your mail, amongst others, so
15 I'm unsure why it wasn't simply accepted. It seems like a no-brainer
16 to me, although it is a specific situation because lua is a language.
17 The latter is more relevant to consideration of whether they are
18 being unreasonable.
19
20 The solution is trivial and it means you're fixing the correct upstream.
21
22 > So, in your mind what would a sane policy look like? Should packages
23 > like lua not provide pkg-config files even though apparently every
24 > other distro does? If so, where do we draw the line? Do we follow
25 > some particular distro like Debian? Do we list 4 distros and allow
26 > the file if 3/4 use it? If we don't allow a pkg-config in general can
27 > maintainers still have a "gentoo-foo" file?
28
29 If we don't provide it, period, there's no line to draw. I'm not saying
30 that applies to every package, but it self-evidently applies here,
31 and I agree with hasufell that it applies everywhere, if we want to do
32 more than follow the crowd for the sake of it, at the expense of our
33 reputation of helping upstreams fix their builds. The upstream with
34 the problem is more than happy to get a fix for the library they
35 depend on, and the patch is trivial.
36
37 Remember, no-one at all is talking about not shipping .pc; they're
38 only talking about fixing a midstream consumer of an upstream
39 which does NOT ship a .pc file. Is anyone seriously suggesting the
40 midstream do not want to work with their upstream in all situations?
41
42 > If we want a firm policy then there needs to be a proposal for one
43 > that makes sense. Otherwise the council is 95% likely to just say "we
44 > recommend that maintainers use care when creating pkg-config files but
45 > we leave it to their discretion," because that is the only thing that
46 > makes any sense when you can't come up with a rule that makes sense.
47
48 The trouble with making general rules for specific situations is you
49 always have to account for the exception to every rule, and more:
50 keep reviewing the basis for the inevitable exceptions to see if they
51 still have standing. But it appears you already have a policy that
52 seems quite sane:
53