From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Segregating KDE?
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:58:11
1 On Sunday 19 September 2004 22:42, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > According to these numbers, if we both add confcache and split the ebuilds,
3 > the total time for emerging all or nearly all of kde will increase by
4 > 0.6-2.3 hours.
5
6 Oh, and some packages (eg kdebase) run automake right now, which takes a lot
7 more time than a non-cached configure run. Couldn't that be eliminated? Just
8 distribute pregenerated Makefile.in files, a configure scripts etc generated
9 with our patches included.
10
11 And unsermake is supposed to make disrtibuted/multiprocess compiling of kde
12 much faster - right now distcc with more than a few boxen isn't really used
13 by kde compiles - and also possibly to speed up normal compiles through a
14 nonrecursive makefile system and such nice things.
15
16 disclaimer; I haven't tried unsermake myself yet and don't know how mature it
17 is.
18
19 So we might be able to optimize the build system sufficiently that the net
20 performance price for the added features won't be too high even in the worst
21 case. Of course, that's where the lack-of-manpower issue comes in...
24 Dan Armak
25 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
26 Matan, Israel
27 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
28 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951