From: Om Prakash <omprakash070@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GSOC 2016 : imapfw, the next email framework
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 10:52:54
1 Hi,
2
3 I am Om Prakash Kumar, an undergrad student at Pondicherry University,
4 Pondicherry, India.
5
6 I have applied to Gentoo's project 'imapfw, the next mail framework'. The
7 imapfw is an extension of OfflineIMAP- a synchronization utility to sync
8 emails between remote IMAP server and local Maildir folder or another
9 server. The imapfw will completely replace OfflineIMAP in the long run and
10 will become a tool for efficient synchronization of emails between an IMAP
11 server and local Maildir folder or another server. It would not only be
12 equipped with all the current feature of OfflineIMAP but also be very
13 efficient in terms of network usage, better concurrency support, no
14 duplication of emails and it will be easily extensible. It will be much
15 more powerful and simple compared to OfflineIMAP.
16
17 *Project Idea*:
18
19 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2016/Ideas#imapfw.2C_the_next_mail_framework
20
21 *Project Proposal* :
22 https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P79q7G-LG6HbQvrLrFLSG-XBRZy2gaDz-2XjEeh2brU/edit?usp=sharing
26 *Feature to be implemented in imapfw*:
27
28 1. Improved concurrency support (It will make it much more powerful, and
29 will be able to sync hundreds of thousands of emails within a minute or
30 less. Isn't it interesting?)
31 2. Support to multiple use case
32 3. Easily extensibility
33 4. Easy to use for a non-technical and expert user.
36 *Brief Introduction* :
37 I am Om Prakash Kumar, a Computer Science
38 undergrad student at Pondicherry University, Pondicherry, India. Although,
39 I am new to open source development but I love to work for open source
40 software. I love to code, develop and explore new things. I started
41 contributing to open source few months back. You can find my contribution
42 at Github <http://www.github.com/iamprakashom>. I found project 'imapfw'
43 as an excellent opportunity to do all of these. Previously I have done
44 competitive coding in C++. This GSoC will not only add values to my skill
45 but also polish me as open source developer. I will be gaining experience
46 and be learning a lot from this project. I am really quite excited about
47 imapfw. It will give more power to OfflineIMAP user to sync email with
48 better concurrency support. It will be an awesome experience when my code
49 will be useful for hundreds of thousands of users of offlineimap/imapfw
50 around globe.
53 *Thanks and Regards,*
54 Om Prakash Kumar
55