From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CA-certified SSL
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 18:48:06
1 On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
3 >> I think it's really quite silly that we keep inconveniencing ourselves
4 >> and our user by not having proper certificates that get recognized by
5 >> all the major browsers, preferably wildcard variants (particularly for
6 >> Bugzilla attachments).
7 >
8 > My knee-jerk reaction is that your browser has a bug. It thinks that
9 > it is appropriate to sound alarms for unauthenticated SSL connections
10 > but not for unauthenticated non-SSL connections. A workaround is to
11 > emerge ca-certificates.
12 >
13 > That said, I do understand your concerns (my pet peeves with the CA
14 > infrastructure and modern browsers notwithstanding).
15
16 Doesn't work on my non-gentoo OS..Perhaps we should provide debs and rpms? :)
20 >> I'd be happy to handle the certificates and renew them every time when
21 >> needed, passing them on to infra staff via a channel they deem secure
22 >> enough, although it would be nice if someone else can provide me with
23 >> funds (e.g. the Trust/Foundation?).
24 >
25 > I'm sure the trustees would be interested as long as this was aligned
26 > with infra. I'd reach out to them first and work out a plan - paying
27 > for it is likely to not be a big issue (and we've had offers of
28 > donated certificates as well).
29 >
30 > Rich