From: Florian Schmaus <flow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Un-slotting LLVM
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 11:46:43
1 On 08/11/2021 12.18, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > WDYT?
3
4 I like slotted LLVM (and GCC) and always find it an advantage over other
5 distributions where it is not so easy to install multiple versions of
6 LLVM (and GCC). It would be unfortunate to see this go. I also can not
7 remember when I last had problems with simultaneously installed LLVM
8 versions as a user.
9
10 Furthermore, un-slotting LLVM would mean that
11 dev-util/include-what-you-use (IWYU) users are bound to the LLVM version
12 used by IWYU. Which, in turn, means that they are also bound to the
13 corresponding clang-tidy version. Sure, this is nothing that can not be
14 solved by manual user intervention, e.g., users manually installing a
15 newer clang-tidy version. But still, it would not be as easy and
16 convenient as before.
17
18 That said, I think it's mostly, if not wholly, up to the maintainer. And
19 since you already do a lot of Gentoo work, it may also be a win if we
20 reduce your LLVM workload.
21
22 - Flow