From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 03:23:47
1 On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 05:00:10PM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Alexandre Buisse wrote:
3 > >The opensolaris project has done a similar thing[1]. The three finalists
4 > >were bazaar[2], mercurial[3] and git[4], and the winner was eventually
5 > >mercurial. This is also the recommended choice from the EuroBSDcon
6 > >slides, so definitely something to consider.
7 >
8 > Indeed, although EuroBSDcon didn't even analyze git, just mentioned it
9 > in passing. It also seems that we have a fair lack of expertise relating
10 > to it, but there has been no shortage of contributions about subversion
11 > and git, at least.
12
13 I think we have a pretty good bit of expertise with using git here :)
14
15 I use it from everything from storing config files, my mbox archive,
16 papers and articles, and yes, Linux kernel development.
17
18 And I've been playing around with the tools that Keith Packard used to
19 convert the X project, as well as having the advantage of talking at
20 length with him all about the issues that they had in converting over.
21
22 git is the most under-sold tool out there today. It is by far, the most
23 powerful and flexible source code control tool ever made, and I've used
24 just about every one out there before. It's not something that I say
25 lightly.
26
27 That being said, is it right for us? Who knows, as no one has really
28 said what they want to do with a different SCM.
29
30 > The problem I had with the opensolaris testing is that they didn't seem
31 > to do any direct comparisons between the SCMs -- they were all isolated
32 > and based on a requirements doc. This makes it difficult to easily
33 > figure out how they balance out.
34
35 I agree, but who really cares about opensolaris anyway :)
36
37 thanks,
38
39 greg k-h