From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 15:42:00
1 On 03/09/2012 07:21 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > The advantage that the eapi function has over a comment is that it's not
3 > magic -- it's just normal bash syntax. So we've addressed that issue at
4 > a small performance cost (we're really only sourcing the ebuild up to
5 > 'exit').
6
7 Also consider the case where a user syncs after not having updated for a
8 couple of months, and the tree contains some ebuilds with EAPIs that are
9 not supported by the currently installed package manager.
10
11 In this case, when resolving dependencies and filtering ebuilds based on
12 whether or not their EAPI is supported, spawning bash once per ebuild is
13 much more costly than the alternatives.
14 --
15 Thanks,
16 Zac