From: Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Indention in metadata.xml
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2015 12:48:21
1 On 07/06/15 05:12, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Sat, 6 Jun 2015 22:00:14 -0400
3 > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Compatibility with sed scripts is not something I care about.
6 >
7 > and is something nobody should care about: xml is not a regular
8 > language :)
11 If you are enforcing split lines on every single tag except ones that
12 can be shortened like <tag />, then it does not matter if you use 4
13 spaces or tabs. Both would be compatible with sed assuming the indenting
14 is correct in either case. With regard to white space within tags is
15 another story. The rule should still apply there and so compatibility
16 would remain.
17
18 However, I do not disagree an XML parser is better than sed for the
19 purpose. There are plenty of XML pretty printers.