From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea for a new project: gentoo-libs
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 10:59:44
1 On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 3:30 AM, Marty E. Plummer <hanetzer@×××××××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 09:22:00AM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > W dniu pią, 22.06.2018 o godzinie 21∶50 -0500, użytkownik Marty E.
6 > > Plummer napisał:
7 > > > So, as you may be aware I've been doing some work on moving bzip2 to an
8 > > > autotools based build. Recently I've ran into app-crypt/mhash, which is
9 > > > in a semi-abandoned state (talking with the maintainer on twitter atm),
10 > > > and I was thinking it may be a good idea to set up a project for
11 > keeping
12 > > > these semi-abandoned and really-abandoned libraries and projects up to
13 > > > date and such.
14 > > >
15 > > > Basically, an upstream for packages who's upstream is either
16 > > > uncontactable or is otherwise not accepting bug fixes and patches. So
17 > > > far I can only think of app-crypt/mhash and app-arch/bzip2 but I'm sure
18 > > > there are others in this state.
19 > > >
20 > >
21 > > So in order to fix problem of semi-abandoned packages, you're creating
22 > > an indirect herd-like entity that will soon be semi-abandoned itself
23 > > because people will be dumping random packages into it and afterwards
24 > > nobody will claim responsibility for them.
25 > >
26 > > --
27 > > Best regards,
28 > > Michał Górny
29 >
30 > No, I mean for packages which are important enough in gentoo to warrant
31 > such treatment. For instance, every email I've tried for bzip2's
32 > upstream bounced or recieved no reply. That, I assume, is important
33 > enough to actually maintain and improve. Any other library which may be
34 > as important which are as inactive would be added.
37 I suspect this might be better done in the Linux foundation itself as they
38 have staffing for core components that everyone is using.
39
40 -A