From: "Fernando J. Pereda" <ferdy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>, stuart.herbert@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] overlay support current proposal?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 09:57:28
1 On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 07:57:43PM -0500, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Fernando J. Pereda wrote: [Sat Mar 25 2006, 06:18:52PM EST]
3 > > Well, I find it easier to understand than many other DVCSs out there...
4 > > In fact I don't think it is difficult to use in any way. Maybe pre-1.1
5 > > versions had some syntax weirdnesses, but the 1.2 series are really easy
6 > > to use and understand...
7 >
8 > That is good to hear. It's possible that my comments were misplaced,
9 > and it would be worth my while to reinvestigate git. Personally I use
10 > mercurial daily (xen) and I've been very happy with it.
11 >
12 > I'm under the impression that mercurial is easier to use than git,
13 > mostly because of git's philosophy of providing the low-level
14 > infrastructure and expecting other projects to build user-friendly
15 > interfaces. While that split sounds good in theory, it seems to
16 > result in one interface that's powerful+complex, and other interfaces
17 > that are weak+easy. Again, that's an impression, not recent personal
18 > experience.
19
20 Definately that was the case some months ago. Now Git provides a
21 'porcelain' (user oriented) interface, and using the 'plumbing' (core)
22 tools directly is highly discouraged.
23
24 Also Cogito has improved a lot since then.
25
26 > > > *shrug* All possible with the other DVCSs, generally easier to
27 > > > use, and harder to screw up your repo.
28 > >
29 > > How would you screw your repo using normal Git commands ?
30 >
31 > I shouldn't have made that statement since I haven't done it
32 > personally, only heard of it happening to other people, and not
33 > recently.
34
35 Again, might be the case with ancient versions, I screwed some of my
36 repos :) But definately not with post-1.0 versions.
37
38 Basically, I think you tried/heard about, ancient versions of Git and
39 Cogito, and yeah... the very first versions were a PITA sometimes.
40
41 Cheers,
42 Ferdy
45 Fernando J. Pereda Garcimartín
46 Gentoo Developer (Alpha,net-mail,mutt,git)
47 20BB BDC3 761A 4781 E6ED ED0B 0A48 5B0C 60BD 28D4