From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Adding 'GPL-2-only', 'GPL-3-only' etc. license variants for better auditing
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 19:59:35
1 On Sat, 2019-09-21 at 15:56 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 9/21/19 12:09 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > TL;DR: I'd like to replace 'GPL-2' with 'GPL-2-only' etc., having
6 > > the former trigger QA warning asking the dev to double-check if it's
7 > > 'GPL-2-only' or 'GPL-2+'.
10 > This works only until people start putting
11 >
12 > LICENSE="GPL-2-only"
13 >
14 > for things that they haven't sufficiently verified.
15 >
16 > If we want to let those people keep committing to the tree, then a
17 > specially-formatted comment might work just as well. It would be harder
18 > to QA (you'd have to parse the comment and associate it with the
19 > variable), but it would save us from having to rename the license every
20 > few years to catch mistakes.
21
22 Honestly, do you believe having the choice of 'GPL-2' and 'GPL-2-only'
23 people would choose the latter without actually checking the difference?
24 Because the way I see it, choosing the former is much more likely.
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny