From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GitLab Feature-Set / Was: devmanual moved to github
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 14:00:05
1 On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM, <sascha-ml@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > - It supports "Merge Requests", which are almost the same as PRs on Github,
3 > which allows user contributions to be reviewed quite easily.
4
5 So, out of curiosity I set this up on a VM and started playing with it.
6
7 It seemed like the UI for merge requests was limited to merges between
8 branches on the same repository. Github lets you make pull requests
9 between repositories. Logistically that is a BIG difference. With a
10 Github-like model users don't need write access of any kind to the
11 repository (they do their work in their own forks), but with Gitlab
12 you'd need to give write access (not sure if you can limit that to
13 only an incoming branch of some kind, which would be a free-for-all
14 area (which might also create problems as this is essentially an
15 arbitrary file hosting area)).
16
17 I could be missing something though - seems like a useful tool but it
18 might be more appropriate to closed teams than for public
19 contribution. If somebody knows of something I missed by all means
20 chime in.
21
22 Gerrit also requires letting the public push, but those pushes go to a
23 contained area and each commit is isolated.
24
25 Again, let me know if I missed something.
26
27 Rich