From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Re: two more tentative SOC ideas
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:37:06
1 On Thursday 22 March 2007, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > > So basically the proper choices I can think of are to ask you to
3 > > either a) install a _p.a version of berkdb that would be static but
4 > > PIC-compiled or b) copy berkdb library in /$(get_libdir) and link
5 > > dynamically.
6 > >
7 > > What do you think?
8 >
9 > Unfortunately Paul does not seem to have much time lately (he answered
10 > me though, but I leave up to him to quote his mail or not).
11
12 At the moment I do have some time available. One can't think about packing
13 stuff all the time (We're moving to Hobart, Australia early of April, as soon
14 as the visa's are aranged). The library problem is complicated though.
15
16 I could look at a static version though guarded by a useflag. The biggest
17 problem though is that berkdb is not easy on version changes. Things tend to
18 break when the used version changes. One might actually look at checking the
19 actual version used and using big fat warnings if that changes.
20
21 The static version is probably better as it protects against the berkeley db
22 version used just disappearing from below. And breaking an authentication
23 system really sucks (as in not being able to log in).
24
25 Paul
28 Paul de Vrieze
29 Gentoo Developer